Friday 30 December 2011

The Importance of Sound and Environment in Games

Having been playing Skyrim alot lately one of the things I noticed was how well they use sound to add to the actual gameplay. Many enemies such as wolves and dragons you will encounter will let out a howl or a roar before you even know where they are. The effect of this is a small adrenaline rush where you find yourself searching frantically trying figure out where they are at before that dragon lands beside you and devours you. I suppose this more has to do with how well things blend in with their environment and how you can't simply spam tab until you lock onto to something.

Anyway it would be nice every now and then to be worried when you are playing an MMO or any sRPG for that matter. I know when I bought Cataclysm I was expecting to be fighting black dragons trying to destroy the world not just Deathwing showing up like once every 3 months and torching you. The lack of any real personal annoyance for my charcater towards Deathwing and the Black Dragonflight is one of many reasons I stopped playing WoW. The guy must have a thing for Spacegoats and Belfs. I mean try and destroy the entire world but not touch Silvermoon. I can't think of any characters that Deathwing killed that would insight any degree of personal rage on my part.

The rush and that can be created from the use environment and sound helps to make it all the more enjoyable when playing Skyrim. I would love to see an MMO where they could make use of this though I imagine it would require Skyrim style combat as opposed to WoW style to make it shine. Tabbing to find a target would remove the rush I experience in all likelihood.

No comments:

Post a Comment